A common condition known as angular cheilitis occurs when someone suffers from cracked corners of the mouth. In this condition lips become sore and inflamed while the skin starts to peel. If the condition worsens cracks at the corner of the mouth can turn into deeper lesions which can be very painful. Simple daily tasks like opening your mouth to eat or even speak can become highly laborious. Not only is the condition unsightly, but also embarrassing as it is hard to conceal.
Angular cheilitis usually occurs as a result of a bacterial infection of the affected area. The splits and cracks around the lip area harbor bacteria which is allowed to grow there are the warm, damp conditions are just perfect! Treatment should be sought before the bacteria start to thrive and aggravate the uncomfortable syndrome. There are many natural treatments and home remedies which can be applied to address angular cheilitis. Here are five popular tips to really help speed up healing and get you on the road to recovery:
Tips To Heal Cracked Corners Of The Mouth
- One of the top most reasons behind angular cheilitis is the insufficient intake of certain vitamins. A lack of adequate vitamin B supply is attributed to angular cheilitis. If this turns out to be the cause of the condition, then you will have to take vitamin B supplements to make up for the deficiency. The consumption of certain foods like meats and leafy greens, beans and rice as well as eggs and fish is helpful. These foods are all good sources of vitamins B2, B3 and B6. Attention to proper nutrition will be helpful in healing cracked corners of the mouth.
- Another deficiency in angular cheilitis is that of low iron. Taking iron supplements and iron rich foods can be helpful in checking the condition. Some people recommend drinking milk as milk contains certain enzymes that can be useful in killing bacteria.
- Whenever we feel our lips dry out, the first instinct is to lick them. This is highly discouraged as licking will only provide bacteria with a moist environment to thrive in. Instead of licking your lips, coat them with petroleum jelly or Vaseline to prevent the lips drying out. This will assist in providing relief to the split mouth edges by softening the hardened skin. If the condition has been caused by a yeast infection, then topical and medicated ointments can be applied upon a doctor’s recommendation.
- Drink plenty of water. Water should always be the first choice to keep you hydrated. In the case of cracked corners of the mouth in angular cheilitis, water acts a natural hydrator to soften your skin of the affected area. While drinking water make sure to keep the affected area dry by gently wiping the corners of the mouth. Once again, you don’t want excess moisture resting on or within the cracks.
- Always engage in oral hygiene practices like washing your mouth after eating and then softly wiping dry the corners of the mouth. This is to ensure that there are no left over food particles attached to the affected area.
Fortunately, the area inside and around the mouth is usually surprisingly fast to heal once the correct approach is used. The system I recommend on this website will quickly show you how to treat angular cheilitis and help to heal cracked corners of the mouth.